Thanksgiving can be a high anxiety event for those who are trying to maintain a strict diet or healthy eating pan. With an abundance of comfort foods and sugary treats to be thankful for, it can sometimes wreak havoc on nutrition coaching programs and those adhering to online holistic nutrition programs. Maintaining the benefits of healthy lifestyle choices can be challenging for many during the busy holiday season. Here are a few healthy Thanksgiving tips to keep you on track during your day of thankfulness:
- Start off with a healthy and fit breakfast. Beginner green smoothie recipes made with leafy greens and fruit can help start your day off right with a healthy dose of vitamins that help your body ward off stress. Just because it’s Thanksgiving doesn’t mean you have to blow your diet off for the day. Starting off with a healthy breakfast can also help keep you full longer so you won’t be eating or snacking on hundreds of empty calories throughout the day.
- Load up on your veggies. Vegetables have high water content in addition to having a powerhouse of nutrients. Vegetables take up more volume in your stomach when compared to other snack foods and the fiber content takes your stomach longer to digest, keeping you fuller longer and preventing you from overeating.
- Take time for you to decompress. This process helps protect mental strength and overall general health. This can be done in a variety of ways. You can do breathing exercises for meditation and calmness. Core exercise ball exercises helps to strengthen the core and improve functional fitness while decreasing stress and helping to refocus on your personal goals.
- Start small and work your way up on your personal fitness goals. Thanksgiving holiday gives many individuals the time they need to start a new program and start new healthy habits. Use your time off over the holidays to make positive adjustments to life. Be realistic about your goals and do a small workout on Thanksgiving Day to keep up the momentum of your new healthy lifestyle changes. Taking a walk around the block with family or taking the dog for a walk all count as fitness activities and can easily added to the busy holiday gathering without taking time away from family. Play a game of tag outside with the kids or create a fitness and family friendly obstacle course in the backyard. All of these are fun ways to add fitness to your day and build memories with family.
- Take some advice from a personal trainer. The benefits of personal training can be: Improved muscle tone and mass, better overall quality of sleep, and reduced stress. Personal training programs can also help you maintain a healthy BMI which lowers your risk for many preventable diseases such as diabetes. These all things that individuals strive to improve throughout the year and can be utilized through the busy holiday season to stay on track and stay fit.