Health and wellness training requires proper nutrition to fuel the body for your fitness training. Nutrition and wellness program and classes provide great resources for any individuals wanting to learn about better nutrition and how it relates to their workouts. Here are some healthy pre-workout snack ideas to help you reach your nutritional goals for better workouts:
1. Make a healthy smoothie with chia seeds. The nutrients in chia seeds add healthy fats, fiber, and can help you feel fuller longer. A healthy smoothie can improve hydration and does not sit heavy in your stomach. You want enough energy and calories to sustain your workout so you can maximize your workout time.
2. Veggie sticks & hummus spread. Veggie sticks and hummus spread provides some protein, fiber, and can hold you over for a workout without causing gastrointestinal (GI) distress or other stomach issues. Natural nutrition courses support raw diets and healthy eating for optimal nutrition and performance.
3. Fresh fruit, such as bananas or oranges. Fresh fruit has a high water content that can keep you hydrated. The natural fructose in fruit keeps your blood sugar up without causing it to spike. Bananas contain potassium which can help prevent muscle cramps.
4. Half a bagel with peanut butter. Bagels provide simple carbs that the body can utilize for quick energy. Peanut butter provides protein and can help you not feel hungry when you are working out. If you have peanut allergies, other nut butters or spreads can be used in place of peanut butter.
5. Hardboiled eggs on whole grain toast. Eggs provide protein that helps support the muscles and will hold you over from being too hungry before your workout. The whole grain toast provides simple carbs that are easily digestible and provide quick energy.
Good pre-workout nutrition doesn’t have to be complicated to be effective. Simple snacks that provide simple carbs, protein, or natural fructose to stabilize your blood sugar are all effective pre-workout fuel that will help you get through your workout. Modifications can easily be made to fit personal tastes. Adjustments can be made for those who have food allergies or sensitivities. Experiment with what you like and what works best for you and your fitness training journey!
Your fitness success starts right here, click below to learn more about ASFA’s Sports Nutrition Certification!