Besides aesthetics, glute strengthening is essential for maintaining good physical health. This muscle group plays a critical role in our day-to-day activities. You may want to dedicate time to train your glutes in the gym or include some exercises in your leg day to maximize strength.
In this article, we are giving you some glutes exercises you can add to your leg day routine. Let’s begin with understanding the anatomy of glutes and the exercises to strengthen them.
This muscle group is comprised of three muscles that are of different sizes.
It is the tiniest muscle in this group and can be found underneath the gluteus medius and gluteus maximus. It performs the primary role of stabilizing and abducting the hip, especially during lateral lunges.
It is the second smallest muscle in this group and is found along the upper lateral side of our hip. It serves as a hip abductor muscle and also provides benefits through lateral hip stability in all types of squats and lunges.
The largest and most superficial muscle in the group, it plays a significant role in developing the strength and aesthetics of the glutes. This powerful hip extensor muscle is trained effectively in exercises involving hip movement from a flexed to an extended position.
Maximize Leg Day with Glutes Exercises
Following are five glutes exercises to maximize your leg day.
- Fire Hydrant
- Begin with resting on your hands and knees. Your knees should be below your hips, and your hands should be directly below the shoulders.
- Try using ankle weights or a resistance band for added resistance.
- Maintain a straight back and look towards the floor during reps.
- Lift one leg up and away from your body until aligned with your hips, and keep your knee folded at 90 degrees.
- Lower it back slowly to the starting position and repeat with the other leg.
- Single Leg Step-up
- Stand adjacent to a bench with your back straight and hands placed on your waist.
- Raise the right leg to a 90-degree angle by placing it on the bench. Keep the left leg straight placed firmly on the ground.
- Push off your left foot while driving your body weight through the heel of your right leg to a standing position on the bench.
- You can hold dumbbells or weights while completing step-ups
- Return to the starting position slowly and repeat on the other side.
- Side Squats
- Tie a resistance band below your knees and stand in a semi-squatted position with your feet together.
- Lower yourself beyond 90 degrees by stepping on one side a little wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Keep your core engaged and back straight while pushing back with your hips.
- Push yourself back to the original position by driving through your heel.
- Repeat the same movement for complete rep count on the other side.
- Glute Bridges
- Lie flat on your back and place your arms extended by your sides while palms are face down on the mat.
- Position yourself near the bench and rest your heels on it, so your legs are angled at 45 degrees.
- Squeeze your glutes and drive your body weight through your heels to lift yourself straight.
- Hold this position for a second before releasing slowly and returning to a flat spine.
- Bulgarian Split Squats
- Stand about 2 to 3 feet in front of a bench or chair while facing away from it.
- Place one foot on the bench or chair.
- Keep your torso upright while engaging your core and bend your forward leg to approximately a 90-degree angle, keeping your knee behind your toes in a full lunge position.
- Pause and return to an upright position.
If you are planning to maximize your leg day, we highly recommend that you include the above glutes exercises in your routine!
If you want to know more, you can consider getting certified as a fitness trainer with the American Sports & Fitness Association and improve your fitness knowledge!